This update contains an update to the FBX SDK and provides a number of security improvements related to processing FBX, DAE, 3DS, and DXF format files. It also brings a number of bug fixes, which could be found at the release notes page.
Now that the fall has come, it’s time to check out an updated Revit roadmap, which highlights the future of Revit. There’s a lot of cool stuff in there, so go ahead and see this article at Autodesk blogs
If you need to iteratively place multiple Revit elements with Dynamo, like these stadium chairs, then you are in trouble. The problem comes from element binding – a Dynamo feature which preserves the link between DesignScript and Revit elements during the current Dynamo session. This is how Dynamo works by design, preventing your model from an avalanche of element duplicates, created in ‘Auto’ mode:
Either you run the graph in ‘Auto’ mode (like in the figure above), or re-run the graph manually, Dynamo places new elements while removing previously created ones. This kind of behaviour sounds pretty logical and straightforward – look what you’ll get if there’s no element binding at all (using one of the workarounds): Continue reading “Dynamo deletes previously placed elements after each run – workaround”
Good news, everyone! Revit 2018.1 update is now available for download from the Autodesk Account portal. It comes with some cool new features (see this article at Autodesk blogs for the full info), including enhancements to Dynamo Player. Now it finally supports changing input values directly through the Player UI, which is super handy:
As you can see, there may be plenty of inputs that could be changed without even launching Dynamo. But note that there are still some limitations:
- Code blocks as input strings are not supported – if you prefer to write text inputs in code block, using quotes, you’ll need to rebuild these Dynamo graphs (swap Code Blocks with Strings) to use with Player;
- Custom nodes as inputs are not supported – they are not shown in the Player UI;
- Frozen nodes will be shown as changeable inputs, while they’re not used in the script logic.
Anyway, this is a cool update, and I’m sure that these subtle issues would be fixed in the near future. And by the way, here is the quote from Dynamo community addressing these issues:
We will look into the frozen node and address them in the future.
For the Code Blocks it’s a little more tricky but doable if there is a strong request from the community.
For the custom nodes it would be really nice indeed to have that.
The way I see this as a possibility in the future : a third party will create the custom node on Dynamo and then will have to create the node UI representation in Dynamo Player ( using some Dynamo Player API which doesn’t exist yet ). So the third party will have control over the DB level of the node and also over node UI representation in Dynamo Player.
Good news is that things are designed internally to make this possible in the future.
However , since this still requires a significant development effort we need to have a strong request from the community so that decision factors prioritize this accordingly. So please tweet about it on every occasion !
Yet another post about Revit weirdness… Struggling with setting scope boxes to multiple views via Dynamo, I noticed that some of the views returned the “null” values. I opened the view that had a “null” value, and saw that the “Scope Box” parameter was grayed out:
The reason for this weird behaviour is simple: it turned out that Scope Box parameter becomes read-only if you modify the Crop Cregion sketch. Since the Revit Scope Box is a cube, it can’t be applied to those views that have non-rectangular Crop Region!